Friday, July 24, 2009

Poison Control

Yesterday Colin gave me quite the scare! I walked into the bathroom and as he was brushing his teeth (just an excuse for him to play in the sink). I looked down and the entire bottle of my face toner was empty and he had been drinking it. I read the bottle to see that it contained a high dose of alcohol. So I called poison control and they recommended a trip to the ER. Matt is in Maine for work for 2 weeks, so I called my mom and 30 minutes later we were in the Children's Hospital ER. On the drive up there he was acting just fine. The Dr required a blood test to check the alcohol level in Colin's system. Not just a prick to the finger or to the heal...this was a butterfly needle to the arm for 5 ml of blood. It took mom and I and 4 nurses to hold him down. It was awful. The first attempt on the right arm they blew the vein. So I was not very excited about that nurse of course! After they finally got the blood drawn, Colin was able to relax a little and took a 30 minute nap as we waited for the results. The results were good and showed a low level of alcohol in his system so we were able to go home. We were all REALLY tired and Colin described it as a 'Long Day' - he had obviously been listening to me talk to his dad!

1 comment:

Why the Bear? said...

HOLY CRAP. I bet that was very very scary. Anne, never a dull moment at your house. I'm glad he wasn't too drunk, perhaps just buzzed?